Feel like trying a fun, easy and yummy new snack? These apple chips are the perfect thing! My four year old can’t get enough of them! Every time that we run out (which seems like every other day) he wants to make more. They are so healthy and simple to make that it’s no problem… the hardest part is finding a three hour chunk of time for them to bake.
This is a great recipe to make with your kids! I do the mandoline cutting and I always let my son arrange the apples on the tray (and then I correctly arrange them afterwards :) I let him help sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top and the chips taste just as good where he doused the cinnamon sugar as well as the ones that he completely missed. This recipe is uncomplicated and hands-on. It is great to make with children of all ages.
One thing to note, when slicing into the middle portion of the apple, I try to get the seeds out with a knife, but leave everything else in tact… I like the natural star shape in the center of the apple.
2-3 granny smith apples
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- Line two baking sheet pans with parchment paper.
- With a mandoline (or very sharp knife and great cutting skills), thinly slice apples.
- Arrange slices in a single layer on the baking sheet pan. Be sure not to overlap.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Put in a fine sieve and sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Bake in the top and bottom third of the oven for 1.5 hours. Pull apples out and turn them upside down and rotate baking pans positions when putting back in the oven.
- Bake for another hour and a half (if your apple slices were a little bit thicker, it may take them a teeny bit longer to crisp up. After 3 hours, if you have a combination of completely crisp and some that are a little chewy/crisp, take the crisp ones off of the baking sheet and put the rest back in the middle of the oven for another 20+ minutes).
- Remove from oven and cool chips before transferring to a sealed container.
want to get your kids in the kitchen? our e-cookbook has 56 yummy, healthy & quick recipes for kids & grown-ups! Shop Amazon